Professor Kayode Adebowale Is University of Ibadan’s New Vice-Chancellor
Professor Kayode Adebowale is the new substantive Vice-Chancellor of the University of Ibadan. The professor of chemistry and current Deputy Vice-Chancellor of Administration, was announced as the new VC by the chairman of the UI Governing Council, Chief John Odigie-Oyegun, who was also a former national chairman of the ruling APC.
Sixteen contestants vied for the position of VC, but one of them, Professor Remi Raji, stepped down and the number was brought down to 15. Ultimately, the Governing Council shortlisted eight final candidates, among which Adebowale emerged. The shortlisted candidates were:
- Professor Adeyinka Aderinto – immediate past Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic)
- Professor Babatunde Ekanola – current Acting Vice-Chancellor
- Professor Kayode Adebowale – incumbent Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Administration)
- Professor H. Fawehinmi
- Professor O. Farounbi
- Professor Babatunde Salako
- Professor Ganiyu Aderounmu, and
- Professor Olusegun Ademowo
The tenure of the past VC, Professor Idowu Olayinka, expired on November 30, 2020, and Professor Babatunde Ekanola was appointed as the Acting VC on December 1, 2020, when the Governing Board could not settle on a substantive VC.
The initial VC selection process first started in May 2020 but due to allegations and counter-allegations among the contenders, the process was cancelled – until the recent process that produced Adebowale.